For links to other useful guides, webinars and bookable support slots with our Support Team, click here.
Changes this census
Schools are required to submit the workforce census this year, with the data that was not required last year now reinstated. For full details on what is collected and for which staff members, take a look at the DfE's guide to submitting data.
There is one new field to be returned in the 2021 workforce census - Add information about staff’s Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) year from their staff profile or the Teacher Status page. Use The Staff section part of the Check your data using the Data Quality Dashboard section below.
For the 2020 Workforce census, these items were not collected. They are collected in this year's 2021 return:
- Staff Absence data - Make sure staff absences have been recorded: How can I see Staff Absence Statistics?
- Qualification data - Record Staff qualifications (Qualification codes, Subject Codes and Class of Degree) from the Qualifications & Checks area on staff member's profiles.
- Date of last pay review - Use The Staff section part of the Check your data using the Data Quality Dashboard section below.
- Vacancies - On census day, you need to add in the vacancies that are currently open at your school. All fields, including the Subject and Tenure fields, are being collected this year. You can see how to add this in the Workforce Census guide.
- Third-party support staff headcount - On census day, you need to add in headcount numbers for occasional teaching staff and third party support staff are both required. You can see how to add this in the Workforce Census guide.
Manage your staff’s HR details
The DfE requires you to report on the pay scales, contract details and school roles. You can check all your staff’s HR and Finance is set up correctly in School > All staff > HR Admin. Go through each of these pages checking your data.
- For Additional Payments for staff members, you'll need to record these as Additional Payments in the Contracts section of the staff member's profile, with the right Additional payment reason.
- For payments that can be output as 'Other' payments in your census, you can add allowances. Check all allowances used by your school are recorded on the Allowances page and click each allowance to check it has been added to all the right staff member’s contracts.
For full details, see our guidance on Allowances and Additional Payments.
On the All Check Types page, you can view a list of checks and add additional checks if needed. On the Review page, you can see check review dates. For more details, see our article on Checks.
Check all the pay scales in use by your school are on the Pay Scales page.
The DfE requires you to report on the pay scales and spinal points for your leadership staff only. If you haven’t yet set up Pay Scales for Headteachers, Assistant Heads and Deputy Heads or updated the spinal point salary amounts for this year, take a look at this article.
To record contract details for the Census, you’ll first need to set up positions. This ensures all your contracted staff are linked to the right Position Category and Census Business Role, which are also required in the Census. See our article on Positions for how to set them up.
If you need to exclude certain staff or all contracts from the Census, you can find steps here.
The Workforce Census collects information on staff contracts for full and part-time teachers, teaching assistants and other support staff that are employed by schools. You can check all your contracts from the Contracts page.
To record contract details for the Census, you’ll first need to set up positions (see the section above). You can then add a contract to each staff member with the right position to ensure all your contracted staff are linked to the right Position Category and Census Business Role, which are also required in the Census.
You can click into the Pay Review Dates tab to add pay review dates in bulk - more details about this here.
If you need to exclude certain staff from the Census, or if you don’t store your contracts in Arbor and report them to the DfE from an external source, follow the instructions in this article.
Check all superannuation schemes used by your school are recorded here. Click each scheme to check it has been added to all the right staff member’s contracts. For more details, see our article on Superannuation Schemes.
Set up your SENCo
Most schools are expected to have a SENCo set up on their site with a separate contract to prevent query 6550Q. To make sure you’ve set them up properly, take a look at this handy one-pager.
If your school doesn’t have a SENCO, you’ll just need to provide an explanation for these queries to COLLECT when submitting your census.
Check your data using the Data Quality Dashboard
Before the Dry Run facility opens, you can start preparing for Census by heading over to your Data Quality Dashboard. You’ll find three key areas to help you check and prepare your data, which you should work through in this order:
- Merge or delete any duplicate staff profiles in the Suspected Duplicates section
- Add and update basic details in the Staff section.
- Add in key Census information in the School Workforce Census section to add key Census information. Just click a cell to add the data!
You can see a list of potential duplicate students in School > Data > Data Quality Dashboard >Suspected Duplicates > Staff.
You can then merge or delete these. Take a look at this article to see how to do this.
Top Tip: If you know that two people are duplicates but they aren't flagging as such, make sure their names are identical.
To check that all staff have information entered for key Census fields, go to School > Data > Data Quality Dashboard > Staff. This will open up six sections where you can update and add all staff information. Click into each to check and update your staff data.
Absences - See and update missing data about dates of staff absence and working days lost.
- Dates - Errors in this section are rare, but can appear due to absences migrating over without a Start Date or Category. Just click the error to add the missing data.
- Working Days Lost - This section will flag any issues with the staff absences you’ve set. For example, to solve the issue shown below, make sure Working days lost is set to greater than 0. Then click the Save Changes button.
Contact Details - Click any field to resolve the error or add in missing information for Email Addresses, Telephone Numbers or Postal Addresses
Identity - Click any field to resolve the error by adding in the missing information for Date of Birth, Ethnicity, National Insurance (NI) Number and Teacher Number.
Contracts - Click any field to resolve the error by adding in the missing information for dates, salaries, employment types, origin working hours, leaving reasons, staff destinations and last pay review date. You can see more about pay review dates, including how to update them in bulk here.
Pay - Click any field to resolve the error by adding in the missing information about pay scales, such as the last pay review date. You can see more about pay review dates, including how to update them in bulk here.
Teacher Status - If any of your staff have been given a position with a ‘Teaching’ Position Category you’ll need to set the staff member’s Teacher Status. Select the teachers to update and click the blue pencil icon.
In the slide over, select whether they have QTS, QLTS and EYTS. If they have QTS, select the QTS route. You can also tick if they have HLTA status.
Click into an individual staff member to add the date the staff member started their first newly qualified teacher year. Arbor will automatically calculate whether this member of staff is in their NQT year 1 or 2 on Census day. Please note this information is only needed for teaching staff in NQT year 1 or 2.
Go to School > Data > Data Quality Dashboard > Select School Workforce Census to amend any missing data that the census could flag. Please note, there is no date range filter on this page, so you may see staff here that are no longer at your school.
Click the row that needs updating. A slide over will appear that will allow you to add or amend data. For a missing teacher number, you would add it in the Document number field.
What to do next
Once you've checked your site and filled in any missing data using the instructions above, you can get started on your census.
Once the census dry run is open, you can run your dry run census and get it ready for submission. See here for when dry run opens and to access your full census guide: Workforce Census help and guidance