This guidance is for Primary Schools and Special Schools going through our Primary Onboarding. Secondary Schools should contact their Arbor Project Manager.
We know you'll be keen to get started using Arbor so we've put this guide together to explain what happens in the migration and when you can expect to receive your live Arbor site.
Once you've sent your data to us, we start the migration straight away. This includes:
- Checking the backup you've sent - we make sure it's in the correct format, isn't corrupt and can be used in a successful migration.
- Importing your data into Arbor - this is where we map the data from your current MIS into Arbor and move it over.
- Finishing Touches - now that we've filled your new Arbor site with data, we make sure that it's configured and ready to use - among other things, this is when your registers are created!
- Quality Assurance and Release - we thoroughly check your Arbor site and make sure things look as we expect. If we see anything that looks amiss, we'll let you know when the site is released.
If you're migrating at a weekend, the following timelines apply:
- If you send us your data on Thursday as planned, your site should be released to you by Wednesday at 1pm. Occasionally, there might be a delay to your migration. In these cases, we'll let you know what's going on and when you can expect your site.
- If you send your data late, we'll still do our best to get the site to you by Wednesday, but we can't guarantee it.
If you're migrating over a holiday, the following timelines apply:
- If you send us your data on the last day of term as planned, your site will be released to you before your first day back after the holiday.
- If you send your data late, we'll still do our best to get the site to you during the holiday, but we can't guarantee it.
We'll let you know if we think there's a problem that means we won't be able to meet the timeline above.
We don't see a lot of errors in migrations (we've done thousands!), but they do crop up occasionally. In those cases, we'll let you know what the impact is and what you need to do.
Data migration is a complex job, with tens of thousands of data set translations needed even for a small school database.
We want your data migration to go as smoothly as possible, so we have developed a thorough Quality Assurance and Release process that identifies any potential errors that could impact your successful use of Arbor.
This includes checking that statutory information has migrated as expected, and that you're ready to submit census without lots of manual data cleansing.