Why use Faculties and Departments?
Faculties and Departments can be used in various areas of Arbor to group Staff and Students. This helps provide more in-depth reporting and makes it easier to manage Staff time.
For example, in the Behaviour Incident Workflows, you can choose to notify the Head of Department.
Faculties refer to the umbrella category that departments fall into. For example within the Humanities faculty, you may have Departments of History, Geography etc. They cannot be linked to other faculties but they can have multiple departments.
Multiple Departments can be linked to each Faculty, or they can exist on their own. Departments cannot be linked to other departments.
This guide covers using Departments, including:
- adding Departments
- adding staff members to a Department
- linking Courses to a Department
Go to School > School Structure > Departments click +Add.
In the slide over, name the Department but leave the Faculty field blank. This will create a stand-alone Department not linked to a Faculty.
Adding Staff Members to a Department
Go to School > School Structure > Departments and select the Department. In the slide over click the green Department Staff button.
To add a staff member to the Department, on the Department Staff Member's page click +Add.
This will open a slide over where you can enter the following information:
- Staff Members: Select the staff members you wish to add to the Department
- Start Date: When the staff member joined the Department
- End Date (optional): when the staff member is due to leave the Department. Leave this blank if there is no end date. Note: An end date can be added later if a staff member leaves the department.
- Responsibility (optional): If adding one member of staff, you can also add the responsibility of either Head of Department or Second in Department
To add a staff member to the Department with no responsibility, leave the Responsibility field blank.
The Business Role called Head of Department will be automatically assigned when someone is linked to a department with the responsibility of Head of Department.
To edit a staff member's membership dates, click on the staff member, and update the slide over.
Linking Courses to a Department
Go to School > School Structure > Departments and select the Department. In the slide over click the green Courses button.
On the Linked Courses page, click +Add.
This will open a slide out where you can enter the following information:
- Academic units: select courses from the dropdown list - you can also add courses for the next academic year. If a course is not present here then it will need to be added to the Courses page. Click here for our article on how to Add programmes and courses.
- Start Date: This will be prefilled with today’s date but can be changed.
- End Date: This will be pre-filled with the final date of the current academic year but can be changed.