To flag students as being Looked After (In Care), or Post Looked After, you must record a Looked After status on their profile. To flag a student as being Post Looked After (and therefore entitled to funding from the DfE) within a School census, you must have assigned them the appropriate Post Looked After status on their profile.
- In Care: Administer All Students - View/add/modify/delete in care notes and statuses for all students
- In Care: Administer My Students - View/add/modify/delete in care notes and statuses for students assigned to the user
If you don't have the permission, you'll need to ask your admin team to give you permission using these instructions.
We’ve introduced two new In Care Statuses for inside England or Wales and outside England or Wales to replace Adopted from care.
You can still report on the old status in Students > Demographics > Looked After (In Care) and your existing reports in the Custom Report Writer.
For the Census and to create new reports, you must replace the old status with one of the new ones, or you’ll receive errors in the Autumn School Census.
Adding and reporting on statuses
You can add a looked after/in care status from a child's Student Profile.
Scroll down to the Looked After (In Care) section, or select it from the View drop-down menu.
Click the +Add button and choose an Assign Looked After (In Care) Status.
In the drop-down menu choose the appropriate status and enter any other information that is needed. The click Set Looked After (In Care) Status.
If you set the Looked After (In Care) status as any of the following, you must also specify a Responsible Authority to prevent errors when generating CTFs:
- Children’s Home
- Other/In Care
- With Parents (under the supervision of social services)
The Student Profile will then display their status.
On the student's profile, scroll down to the Looked After (In Care) section. Click on the +Add button and select Assign Looked After (In Care) Status.
Select one of the following statuses from the Looked After (In Care) status drop-down menu:
- Left care through child arrangement order (CAO) - Maps to code C for the census
- Adopted from care inside England or Wales - Maps to code A for the census
- Adopted from care outside England or Wales - Maps to code O for the census
- Left care through residence order (RO) - Maps to code R for the census
- Left care through special guardianship order (SGO) - Maps to code G for the census
Set the From Date (if known) and an Until Date if appropriate. Click the Set Looked After (In Care) Status button.
You can see all of your students with Looked After Statuses in Students > Demographics > Looked After (In Care).
This table lists all students who have an active Looked After (In Care) status. Any students who are Looked After will have 'Yes' in the In Care column, whereas students who are Post Looked After will have 'No'.
To see the demographic of students that are actively Looked After (In Care), please use the derived Looked After (In Care) demographic indicator. This can be found by going to Students > Demographics > Derived Indicators > Looked After (In Care). Please note that this report will not contain students who have Post Looked After statuses.