For the spring census, schools with Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 classes need to report on pupil numbers in their classes at the time of the census.
If there are more than 30 pupils in the class, you'll need to provide a reason why by way of an 'exception'. The available exceptions are:
- Teachers on PPA or LMT - If the class is being supervised by a teaching assistant due to teachers being on PPA or LMT, record the number of teachers on PPA or LMT in this field.
- Exception A - The number of children admitted outside the normal admissions round with an education, health and care plan specifying a school.
- Exception B - The number of looked after children and previously looked after children admitted outside the normal admissions round.
- Exception C - The number of children admitted, after the initial allocation of places, because of a procedural error made by the admission authority or local authority in the original application process.
- Exception D - The number of children admitted after an independent appeals panel upholds an appeal.
- Exception E - The number of children who move into the area outside the normal admissions round for whom there is no other available school within a reasonable distance (the LA has to confirm that the child qualifies under this category).
- Exception F - The number of children of UK service personnel admitted outside the normal admissions round.
- Exception G - The number of children whose twin or sibling is admitted otherwise than as an excepted pupil.
- Exception H - The number of children with special educational needs who are normally taught in a special educational needs unit attached to the school, or registered at a special school, who attend some infant classes within the mainstream school.