Refund leavers or give the money to siblings

If you need to issue refunds to students who have left your school (such as year 6 or year 11), you can find links on how to do this below. Please note that it is not possible to make refunds in bulk.

If the original payment was made via card, refunds can be made back onto the original card the payment was made with. You can also move outstanding balances to a sibling's account.

To see how to refund card payments, please follow these instructions: 

If the payments were made by cash, cheque or bank transfer, you won't be able to refund them through Arbor via card.

You will need to contact the guardian outside of Arbor to organise a refund, or alternatively, you could move outstanding balances to a sibling's account.

Was this article helpful?

Sorry to hear this article wasn't helpful.

Please note that the link below cannot be used:

  • for requesting functionality changes as it is not monitored by our Product Team.
  • for contacting us for support, as it is not monitored by our Support Team.
  • by parents and guardians - please contact your school instead.

Tell us how our guidance can be improved.

0 out of 0 found this helpful
I'm still stuck!



Article is closed for comments.