Using the Parent Portal is a great way to increase engagement. It also allows parents to schedule Parents Evenings (known as Guardian Consultations), sign their children up for clubs and trips, make payments and track progress.
Before you switch Parent Portal on for your school, there are a few steps that must be taken to ensure it functions for all users in the way you want it to.
To watch a video demonstration of this process, click here.
Step 1 - Check your student and guardian details
a. Ensure all Student and guardian profiles exist
Make sure that all students you want guardians to be able to view on their Parent Portal have been added to your Arbor site.
Then make sure all guardians you want to be able to access the Parent Portal have also been added and linked as a Primary Guardian to the right children. You can do this in the Family, Guardians and Contacts section of a student's profile. Once you have added a guardian to one student's profile, you can then click the guardian to go to their profile and link them to any other students.
b. Resolve duplicate profiles
If you have a guardian with more than one profile, the Parent Portal will not know which profile to show when logging in and will show an error.
To see how to resolve all your duplicate students, click here.
To see how to resolve all your duplicate guardians, click here.
c. Check email addresses
Check all Primary Guardians have an email address on their profile. This information can be found and any gaps filled in by going to Students > Parents & Guardians > Bulk Update > Guardian Contact Details. This is particularly important, as the email address functions as the username guardians use to log into the Parent Portal.
You must also make sure that the email address used on a guardian profile is not also used on a student or staff profile. If, for example, a staff profile and guardian profile share the same email address, the system will not know whether they are trying to log in as a staff member or a guardian, and an error will show. Therefore, email addresses must be different on every profile.
If you'd like to check that all parents and students have different email addresses click the link below to download our Custom Report Template to import into your site. Then go to the Custom Report Writer and select to create a new Custom Report by importing this file. You can then easily see students and their Primary Guardians' email addresses.
If you do want the email address to be logged on a student and guardian profile, simply click into the student's User Details section and click the Disable Account button on the slide-bar so that the email username will only be active for the parent. This will remove the error that appears and the parent should then be able to log in. Please note: If your school uses the student portal, disabling the student's account will no longer allow the student to log in. You would instead require a separate email username to be added instead to the pupil's profile.
Step 2 - Decide on your Parent Portal settings
Once you have all your students and guardians set up properly, you must decide what features you want to display and what you want to allow guardians to do on the Parent Portal. For example, do you want guardians to be able to make payments for Clubs and Trips, but not Meals, or do you want to show your positive Behaviour Points but not your Negative Incidents? See below for how to implement these settings before you release your Parent Portal.
We have lots of out-of-the-box consents that you can choose to request from guardians through the parent portal. To set which consents should be collected through the parent portal, or to add new consents, click here.
b. Payment Settings
You'll want to make sure parents are able to pay for all the different accounts you need.
Please note that guardians cannot top up Club and Trip accounts as these accounts are not used to keep a balance. Clubs and Trips are paid for when payment is required, you cannot top up an amount to be used at a later date. As such, you do not need to set these account types up.
Take a look at our Payments Guide for how to set up payments in Arbor.
c. Parent Portal Settings
Decide what you want to show on the Parent Portal. Work through each section in this article choosing your settings. These settings are very important to get right, as they determine everything guardians can see.
Choose whether to use In-app messages, whether parents can reply to these and set SMS follow-up settings.
You can also choose whether information can be automatically updated by guardians, or if it needs to be reviewed by school staff first. Click here for what this means for your school.
Step 3 - Turn on your parent portal
a. Turning on your Parent Portal
When you are ready to turn on your arent Portal, go to Students > Parents & guardians > Parent Portal Settings. Click the Parent login field in the Security & Privacy section and change the red cross to a green tick by selecting 'Yes' to 'Allow parents to log in'.
b. Send out logins
If you have chosen to send guardians an email notifying them when Parent Portal is open, you will have to manually send them a welcome mail. To see how to do this, and how to resend logins, click here.
- Ensure they are using Google Chrome.
- Ask them to try restarting their computer and attempting to log in again.
- If it is the first time the guardian is logging in, make sure they are accessing Arbor from a desktop or laptop computer, not a mobile phone.
- Make sure they are trying to log in with the correct user details.
- Ensure they have put in the correct date of birth for their oldest currently enrolled child when first logging in.
- Make sure there are no duplicate guardian profiles.
- Make sure the email address they are trying to log in with is not also attached to a student or another guardian’s profile. It may be that the same email address is being used as the username for both parent and child on their profiles. To remove the email from the child’s profile, go to their profile and delete the email from the Contact Details section.
- Make sure they are not using the link they were sent in their welcome email. This link is only for setting up their account and will not work after 96 hours. Instead they should go to http://[exampleschoolname].uk.arbor.sc.
- Ask them to refresh their browser in order to get onto Arbor. To do this, they need to clear the cache and possibly delete cookies related to Arbor - click here for instructions on clearing your cache.
- If this doesn't work, ask them to clear the cookies for Arbor - click here to see instructions on how to do this for the most widely used browsers.