Once you have switched on Parent Portal, the next thing to do is to send the login details to the Primary Guardians.
You may want to send an email directly from the school in advance, to ensure Primary Guardians can look out for the Arbor email containing their logins. Since it would be the first communication from Arbor to your Primary Guardians, there is a possibility that the email will go straight into a junk or spam folder.
Top Tip: If guardians contact you saying the link is expiring you can send them the URL from your homepage. This link won't expire!
Before sending out logins
For guardians to log in when their child is not a current student, you'll need to check your settings:
- For guardians of Future Students starting in September to log in, you will need to have completed step 3 of the new school year setup process - you can see how to do this here.
- For guardians of Applicants (applicants to your school for this or future years who have an application status that is not Enrolled, Withdrawn or Rejected - read more about this process here) to log in, you'll need to have switched the Parent Portal on for guardians of applicants. You can see how to do this here.
If you have not done this, the guardians of future students and applicants will get this message when they try to log in.
Option 1 - Using our login details template
To send out login details, go to the Students > Parents & Guardians > Parent Portal Usage to see the guardians that have or have not logged onto your school's Parent Portal or Arbor App. You can also see your engagement statistics.
To send out login details for the first time, select the full list, click the Bulk action button then select Resend guardian login details.
In the slide over, choose whether to send them an email or an SMS (the SMS will advise them to call the school so that an email address may be added onto their profile), then click Send Details.
The guardians will then receive the following email filled with your school's information and a password creation link.
Top Tip: Want to edit the wording of the email that's sent out? See how to do this here: Using Email/SMS/Letter Templates
Re-sending login details from this page
To send login details, tick all the boxes next to the guardians you would like to send details to. Click theBulk action button to resend details. The message sent will be the same as shown in the section above.
Re-sending login details for one guardian
To send login details for an individual guardian from their profile, you can see how to do this here: Resending a 'Welcome to Arbor' or login details email for a student, guardian or staff member
Option 2 - Using a mail merge email
Using a mail merge email allows you to create a bespoke first email to parents that suits your needs. You can send the message from Students > Parents & Guardians > Parent Portal Usage, where you can also see the Guardians that have or have not logged onto your school's Parent Portal.
Select the full list, click the Bulk action button then select Send Email to Primary Guardians.
You can then draft and send your email. Add in your message to let them know where to go to log in, and how to set their password.
You can also load in a template you've set up - see how to do this here: Using Email/SMS/Letter Templates. If you can't see the Load Template button, try these tips.
Once you've written your email, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Proceed, then on the next page, click Send.
- If any guardians are having issues logging in, please follow the steps outlined here: Troubleshooting login issues for parents - why can’t parents log in?
- You can see whether guardians are logging in, and when here: How can we see when or if staff, students and guardians are logging in?
- You can also track overall engagement with the Parent Portal and Arbor App: How to track and report on Parental Engagement for the Parent Portal and Arbor App
Article is closed for comments.