When setting up a custom report through School > Custom Report Writer, you can apply filters (step 6), groupings (step 7) and collations (step 8) to ensure your report only contains the information you need and in the right format.
- Filter - Applying a filter reduces down the data output in your report to only what you want to look at. For example, if you only want to show Pupil Premium students in your report.
- Group - Grouping your report will give you an average calculation for each group's data and the size of each group. For example, if you want to see how many students are in each group.
- Collate - Collating your report will put all results of a similar type together. For example, if you want to see individual students in a list, but group them so all students in the same class are next to each other.
Let's take a look at an example report, and apply a filter, grouping and collation to show you what each thing does to the report.
Here is my default report, reporting on the students' names, registration form and roll call attendance. Right now, it is showing all students that have been enrolled in my school this year.
When you want to only see certain children or groups of students in your report, you need to add a filter, not a column, grouping, collation or anything else.
First, we'll look at what happens when you add a filter. I'm adding a filter for Roll Call attendance to be equal to 100%. Be sure to add them into the filter section, not as a column.
My report will then only show students who have Roll Call attendance of 100%.
You can also combine filters:
- If you want to look at students who are SEN or FSM, add both filters.
- If you want to look at students who are SEN and FSM, use the Demographics filter and select the options in the slide over.
You can see more example filters you might want to apply, as well as top tips for how to filter your reports here: Using AND and OR filters in the Custom Report Writer
Next, let's look at what happens when you add a grouping. Please note, for this example, I have removed the filter so my report included all students, but you can add both a filter and group your report at the same time.
I'm going to add a grouping for Year Group.
My report will then show the average attendance for each year group, and how many students are in each year group.
Finally, we'll look at what happens when you add a collation. Please note that you can't add a collation to a report that is already grouped.
I'm going to add a collation for Registration Form.
My report will then show all students, but they will be sorted based on their registration form. So students with the same registration form will be next to each other.
If you download the report, each registration form will be put into a different tab.