Withdrawing candidates from Qualification Awards or Learning Units is a key part of every Exams Officer's role. There are three ways that candidates can be withdrawn from Award or Unit entries in Arbor, either directly from the candidate's Statement of Entry page, via the individual Award/Unit pages, or using the Entries by Student Group page.
Please note that if a qualification is an EDI qualification and the candidate has already been entered with the Exam Board, an Amendments file must be produced and sent to the Awarding Organisation.
How does the Withdrawal workflow function in Arbor?
To fully understand the Withdrawal process, it's important to understand the statuses that entries can have in Arbor:
- Entered (Pending Submission): This is when an entry has been created in Arbor, but has not yet been included in an EDI file generation. Entries in this state can be withdrawn. If an entry in this state is withdrawn, it will be removed from the system completely.
- Entered (Pending Confirmation): This status indicates an entry has been included in an EDI file generation, but this file has not yet been confirmed or rejected. Entries in this state cannot be withdrawn. You should first confirm your EDI file (as long as the Awarding Organisation have accepted the file), then look to make withdrawals.
- Entry Confirmed: This indicates an entry has been submitted within an EDI file, and the file has subsequently been confirmed. Entries in this state can be withdrawn. When a confirmed entry is withdrawn, the withdrawal will be included in the next EDI file generation.
When a confirmed entry is withdrawn, this starts the withdrawal workflow - withdrawals can have the following three statuses:
- Withdrawn (Pending Submission): This is the status that will appear when a confirmed entry is withdrawn. It indicates the withdrawal has not yet been included in an EDI file generation. Candidates can be re-entered at this point.
- Withdrawn (Pending Confirmation): This status indicates the withdrawal has been included in an EDI file generation, but the file has not yet been confirmed. Candidates cannot be re-entered whilst their withdrawal is in this status. You should look to confirm your EDI file before re-entering the student.
- Withdrawn: This indicates that the withdrawal has been included in an EDI file generation, and the file has been confirmed. Candidates can be re-entered at this point.
To withdraw a candidate from a qualification via their Statement of Entry page, follow these steps:
- Head to the candidate's Student Profile, then click Examinations > Statement of Entry.
- On the Statement of Entry page, tick the boxes on the left-hand side for the qualification(s) that withdrawals need to be made for.
- On the slideover menu, click the red button to confirm the withdrawals. Please note: If you have selected an Award, the candidate will also be withdrawn from any linked Learning Units. Click the blue pencil and select 'Withdraw candidate'.
- Once you confirm the withdrawals, they'll no longer be visible on the candidate's Statement of Entry.
To withdraw a student directly from an Award or Unit page follow these steps:
- Head to Examinations > Qualification Offering, and click into the appropriate Award (or Standalone Learning Unit).
- Next, click on the Candidate Entries tab, then click into the Award or Unit as required (if withdrawing a student from both the Award and Unit, you'll just need to click into the Award!).
- On the resulting page, tick the boxes on the left-hand side of the Candidate Entries table to select the candidates you'd like to withdraw, then use the blue pencil to Withdraw Candidates.
- On the Withdraw Candidates slideover menu that appears, you can then confirm the withdrawals. Please note that if you are withdrawing a student from an Award, they will also be withdrawn from any linked Learning Units. If you are withdrawing a student from a Learning Unit, they will not be withdrawn from the overall Award.
To withdraw candidates in bulk using the Entries by Student Group page, follow these steps:
- Head to Students > Examinations > Entries > Entries by Student Group.
- Add a filter if needed to reduce the size of the list of candidates.
- Tick the boxes on the left-hand side of the table to select the desired candidates, then use the blue pencil icon to Withdraw Candidates.
- On the Withdraw Candidates slideover menu, select the details of the qualification you'd like to withdraw the candidate(s) from. If you'd only like to withdraw from an Award or Learning Unit, make sure that you only select values in the Award or Learning Unit drop-downs respectively. Click Withdraw and then confirm to action the withdrawals.
Can't select students who have left your school to withdraw?
Go to Students > Enrolment > Custom Groups and click the green New Custom Group button.
In the slide over, add in the custom group name and select that it could contain All student. This ensures you can add past students to it.
Click +Add on the Members tab and select the students who have left your school.
Top Tip: Not sure who to add? Check in Students > All Students > Browse Students > Leavers.
If you return to the Entries by Student Group page, you can select your custom group in the filters.
You'll then be able to withdraw the candidates.