Adding SEN (Special Educational Need) and EHCP for a student

The Educational Needs section of the Student Profile compiles all information regarding a student's special educational needs, gifts and talents, educational plans, events, funding and SEN statements and notes. 

You can see more information about editing and deleting SEN here: Edit or delete an SEN need or SEN Status


You'll need the Student: Special Education Needs: Administer My/All Students permission (also called Student: SEN: Administer My/All Students) to manage SEN details for students e.g. add an IEP or SEN need. If you don't have the permission, you'll need to ask your admin team to give you permission using these instructions.


SEN Statuses

To record a student as a student with SEN, you need to give them an SEN Status. They will then appear as a student with SEN for reporting, and on the list of students with SEN.

Adding an SEN Status of N, E (EHCP) or K

To add a new SEN status, click the orange button.



In the slide over, you can add the new status. You can see which type maps to which code here: What are the SEN Statuses of N, E and K?




The SEN field in the Educational Needs section will now show the dates of the SEN Status.


How do I see and edit past SEN statuses?

The SEN Status Assignment History section lists any historic or current SEN statuses.



Click into a status to edit or delete it as required. 




SEN Needs

Logging a SEN Need does not record the student as SEN - you need to record a SEN Status to mark a student as SEN (shown above). SEN needs are to record the specific needs of the student.

Adding an SEN need

Click +Add in the Educational Needs section.



Select Special Educational Need.



Add the type and other details, then add the need.


How do I see and edit past SEN needs and rankings?

The Educational Needs section lists any historic or current SEN statuses.



Click into a need to edit it or delete it. Click Edit.



How SEN Needs map to DfE Export Codes

We often get asked why we have more options in SEN Needs than the DfE's Pupil SEN type list. This is so you have more granularity in recording a student's SEN information.

In the background of Arbor, we map our SEN Needs list to the DfE Export Codes. It is the DfE Export Code that is output in the census.

Here is a list of how SEN Needs in Arbor maps to the DfE Export code: SEN Need Types with DfE code mapping

Please note that this is a list for UK DfE schools. For Isle of Man schools or schools completing the ILR, please contact us if you require a list.



Other SEN details you can record

In the Educational Needs section, you can also add additional details for gifted or talented students, or record an educational plan.

Student Gifts and Talents

This section groups all recorded student talents. To add a new record, click on the +Add sign and select whether you will be recording a student gift or talent.



A slide-over is displayed to input the right information and create the record.


Individual Education Plans

This compiles the student's educational plan. To record a new plan, click on the '+Add' sign and input a summary, dates and relevant content. Attachments may be uploaded (such as an IEP and linked with this particular record. 


SEN Events

This displays any SEN events recorded. By selecting the'+Add' sign, additional events may be recorded and assigned to the appropriate event type. 


Student Funding

This section lists any funding the student is assigned. For example, you may need to report on some student's top-up funding indicator for the census.

You can see a full list of available options here: Adding top up funding


SEN Notes

This section lists and manages the student's SEN notes and relative documents. Click +Add to add a new note, or click a note to add IEP documents or view more details.

You can see more information, including how to pin a SEN note here: SEN notes


Was this article helpful?
7 out of 15 found this helpful
I'm still stuck!



Article is closed for comments.