We have a new specialised area of Arbor to manage payments and bookings for breakfast or after-school clubs, rather than using our existing Clubs or Meals functionality. With this new feature you can:
- Allow parents to book sessions and pay in advance through the Parent Portal and Arbor App.
- Manage different length sessions with different prices.
- Define the cut-off time for signing up e.g. 24 hours before the session.
- Choose any top-up account type for payments to be deducted from e.g. Meals or Vouchers.
- Choose whether parents need to pay for all sessions or just the ones their children actually attend.
Top Tip: Make sure you have set up Card Payments on your site to allow payments via card.
- School: Extra Curricular: Administer - Set up and manage clubs
- School: Teaching: Administer - Add staff to a club session
If you don't have the permission, you'll need to ask your admin team to give you permission using these instructions.
Switching over to the new functionality from Clubs or Meals
There's no need to switch over right away if you're happy using your current setup. However, we'd recommend switching over at some point this academic year, as the new process is easier and quicker to manage.
To switch over, first decide when to switch over. We recommend switching over during a break in the school year such as a half term or holiday.
You'll then need to end your current setup the day before you want the new setup to begin. Then just follow the instructions below to set up your wraparound care starting from the next term.
We currently use Meals
As breakfast and wraparound care clubs set up as Meals would be linked to the Meal account, it isn't possible to hide this on the Parent Portal without preventing guardians from toping up for lunches.
The Meal (unless deleted) will also show to your staff in the Meal Choices section of lesson dashboards and in your Meals Setup area.
- If you want to delete the meal completely, you can see your options here: Can we delete a meal?
- If you just want to delete the scheduled sessions, go to School > Meals > Setup and click into the Meal Sittings Scheduled section. Click into the slots to delete, click Edit, then edit the effective dates or click Delete Timetable Slot.
We currently use Clubs
If you've set up in Clubs, go to School > Activities > Clubs and select the club.
You'll need to cancel and refund any club memberships that have been booked past the final date you want to run in Clubs for by following these instructions: Cancelling and Refunding Club memberships
Once you've done that, click into each session in the Sessions section and click Edit in the slide over. Change the end date then click Save Changes. This prevents parents from booking sessions past this date.
Setting up wraparound care
Please note that if you want to set up more than one session within a day (such as a breakfast club and an after-school club), we recommend setting up two clubs. If you don't, each time will count as two separate sessions the parent could book and they could sign up for both. It also means that if a parent signs up for a day, they would be charged for both sessions that take place on the day.
Go to School > Activities > Clubs and click +Add to select Add Wraparound Care Club.
A slide over will appear for you to enter details about the club you're creating - choose:
- Club name
- Club description
- Students eligible for this club - Which students can be signed up to the wraparound care club.
- Maximum number of participants in a club session - Once this limit is reached, guardians can no longer sign up to a particular session, but Administrators can still add additional students.
- Whether meals are going to be provided during the club
Next, add a club lead. This should be the person in charge of the club.
Click +Add to add sessions on a weekly basis.
Please note that if you want to set up more than one session within a day, these will count as two separate sessions the parent could book and they could sign up for both. This means that if you only want certain parents to be able to book one timeslot, it would be best to set up two clubs, one for each time.
Top Tip: Need to schedule a one-off single session? Set the Effective end date to be equal to the Effective start date.
A session interval is a slot of time for a student to attend during a wraparound care club session. You can set up as many intervals during one session as needed.
Usually the price which parents need to pay depends on the length of the session interval their kid attends. For example, if your breakfast club runs from 7-9, you might have a different price for students who attend 7-9 and 8-9. We'll add prices in a later step.
Important information for setting up session intervals:
- There must be at least one session interval defined. If there is only one interval, set it as the same duration of the sessions.
- If you don't add an interval covering the full length of the session, we'll create one for you to allow parents to sign up their kids for the whole session length if needed.
- It is not possible to define session intervals that start earlier or end later than the session.
In the Accounting Details section you'll need to choose:
- Customer account type - Which prepayment customer account type will be used for this particular wraparound care club. If you don't see the option you need, you can set up a new Customer Account Type. If you leave it blank, you won't be able to take payments.
- Accounting code - leave this field empty to use the default accounting code for this club. If you want to use different accounting codes for different wraparound care clubs, just fill in the accounting code here.
- Decide whether to charge students based on their attendance. If you select yes, students will be charged if they are marked in the wraparound care club register as present or late. If you select no, students will be charged for whichever wraparound care clubs they book, whether they attend or not.
In the Club Prices section, you can add the price depending on the length of the session.
- Group / Student - Choose a group of students or a single student and the price they should be charged
- Club Session Interval - Select a session and a weekday and a session interval for which a price is set
- Price Excl. VAT
- VAT Rate
It isn't possible to define different prices for the same student group in the same interval. For example, if there is already a price for Year 7 for Monday 9:00-9:30, you can't create another price for Year 7 for Monday 9:00-9:30.
In this section, you'll define when parents can sign up for the club.
So that parents don't have to book each day separately, you can add different membership periods - select from day, week, month, term or year. The available dates determine which sessions will be available to book.
Next, you'll determine the settings for guardians.
- Sign-up opens - Choose when guardians can start booking sessions on the Parent Portal and Arbor App. Leave this field empty to disable sign-up for guardians if you want to manually sign pupils up. Arbor won’t automatically email parents to tell them they can sign up, so you would need to let them know via email, SMS or in-app message.
- Sign-up cut-off time - Choose the cut-off time for when guardians will no longer be able to book - from 30 minutes to 48 hours before the session is due to begin. Leave this field empty if there should be no cut-off time and guardians should be able to sign-up to the session at any moment of time until it begins.
- Allow sign-up if not enough balance? - As wraparound care clubs use top-up accounts, it is possible to go into debt. You can choose whether this is allowed when signing up to the club if signing up would take the balance below 0.
- Ask guardians whether student will have meals? - Choose whether parents can decide whether the child will have a meal during the club (only available if you specified that meals will be provided during the club).
Viewing and adding Club Participants
Click Club Participants from the left-hand menu to view all the students that the club is open to, their account balance, and how many sessions they've signed up for and attended.
You can see how to add students to sessions here: Manually signing students up to a wraparound care club
Guardians can sign their child up for sessions by clicking into the Clubs area and selecting the club. They can then top up their account (for paid clubs) and register.
You can see how guardians can sign their children up here: Signing my child up for a Breakfast or After-School Club on the Parent Portal or Arbor App
Can we change or remove the customer account type?
You can remove or change the account before you start taking payments. Once at least one student is signed up for a future session of this club or at least one price is defined for this club, you won't be able to remove the account.
Can you sign students up as a provisional club member?
No, this isn't possible. Because payments are taken from a top-up account rather than during signup for guardians, it is not possible to sign students up to pay later.
Do guardians need to provide consent?
No, guardians do not need to consent. It is not possible to request consent using wraparound care clubs.
How many invoices are raised?
One invoice is raised for every session interval the student is signed up for. For example, if a student is signed up for one session for two session intervals (e.g. 9-9:30 and 9:30 - 10) - then two invoices will be raised.
When students have two prices that apply, which will be used?
If several prices can be selected for a student, the lower price will be used. For example, Anna Holmesis in Year 1 and is FSM. The price Year 1 is £4 but the price for FSM is £0, so Anna will not be charged.