Schools often administer DfE assessment tests, then use this data to support the Teacher Judgement Assessments. You can see how to input the judgements here, but this article will show you how to record the actual test scores in Arbor if you wish to.
Following the instructions below means you save admin time setting these up in summative assessments, User Defined Fields (UDFs) or spreadsheets. It also means that the assessment data will be sent across to the student's next school when they move on, as DfE assessment marks are exported in CTFs.
- To set up and manage DfE Assessments you'll need the School: Assessments: Administer permission
- To add marks in you'll need the School: Assessments: View permission or one of the Student Profile: Assessments: Administer All/My Students permissions.
If you don't have the permission, you'll need to ask your admin team to give you permission using these instructions.
How long will it take?
- Setup - 5 minutes
- Marking - varies depending on the number of students
Setting up the assessment
Go to Students > Assessments > DfE Assessments.
- If the template has already been added, you'll see it under the academic year drop-down menu.
- If it hasn't yet been added, click the green Load Assessment Template button in the top-right of the page.
Choose the correct template from the drop-down menu - you can type in Test Results to narrow down your search.
Return to your standardised assessment dashboard and click +Add to create a new assessment.
Fill in the slide over with the students who will be taking the assessment, the date the assessment takes place and whether the assessment is for students with SEN only.
Clicking the assessment will then allow you to edit the assessment or input marks.
Marking the assessment
When you click Input marks, you'll be taken to the marksheet. From here you can add KS1 marks for:
- Reading Test 1: National Curriculum Task/Test Mark
- Reading Test 2: National Curriculum Task/Test Mark
- Reading Test Total: National Curriculum Summary (Aggregate) Mark
- Reading Scaled Score: National Curriculum Scaled Score
- Reading Outcome: National Curriculum Test Standard
- Spelling Test: National Curriculum Task/Test Mark
- Grammar, Punctuation and vocab: National Curriculum Task/Test Mark
- Grammar, Punctuation and spelling: National Curriculum Summary (Aggregate) Mark
- Grammar, Punctuation and spelling Scaled Score: National Curriculum Scaled Score
- Grammar, Punctuation and spelling Outcome: National Curriculum Test Standard
- Mathematics, Arithmetic : National Curriculum Task/Test Mark
- Mathematics, Reasoning: National Curriculum Task/Test Mark
- Mathematics, Total: National Curriculum Summary (Aggregate) Mark
- Mathematics, Scaled Score: National Curriculum Scaled Score
- Mathematics Outcome: National Curriculum Test Standard
- English Subject - Free Text
- Maths Subject - Free Text
- Science Subject - Free Text
Some columns are a free text box where you type in the grade.
Some columns, you click on the blank box to select a grade to input.
You can also bulk upload marks by ticking the box beside students who all have the same mark and clicking the Bulk action button select the subject.
What marks can be used?
You can find details of the marks available in these assessments by downloading the DfE's Assessment component files.
Please note that the Arbor Support Team is not able to advise which mark you should use. If you are unsure, please contact the DfE for clarification.
Can we record test results for KS2?
It isn't possible to record the test results for KS2. There's no need to record them using this method because they will be imported using a CTF: Importing KS2 results using a CTF
Do we have to record these assessments in the DfE area?
It's optional to record these test results in Arbor.
If you do want to record these test results at all, we do recommend using the method outlined in this article rather than in summative assessments, User Defined Fields (UDFs) or spreadsheets.
Can we share the assessment marks?
Yes you can! You can send CTFs that include these marks: Exporting DfE assessment results via CTF
When students move to their next school, these marks will be included in the CTF: Generating a CTF