For links to other useful guides and webinars, click here.
Changes to the census this academic year
There are some additional pieces of data schools will need to report in the Spring 2023 Census
- Students who are Young Carers
- Which students have had Alternative Provision (AP) placements
- (Optional) School Time for Weekly Hours Open
- (PRUs and Alternative Provisions only) PRU or Alternative Provision indicators
Also a reminder from the last census:
- You'll need to use the National Tutoring Programme Student Funding Type to record new funding, as we deactivated School Led Tutoring Programme. You can read further details here.
- Make sure you have replaced any old Adopted from care statuses to either inside England or Wales or outside England or Wales. You can read further details here.
Preparing your data
Before the Dry Run facility opens, you can start preparing for Census using these three key areas:
- Check your recorded School Details and Childcare by going to School > School Details.
- Check for duplicate student profiles in the Suspected Duplicates section
- Add and update basic details in the Students > Identity and Students > Demographics sections. Just click a cell to add the data!
You will need the School: Data Returns: Administer permission to be able to access and run the School census.
You'll also need specific permissions to resolve certain errors and queries, depending on the area you're resolving the error for. Some example permissions you might need are:
- School: General Admin: Administer - Access and edit the data in the Data Quality Dashboard for students
- Student Profile: Admin: Administer All Students - Add student funding or early years pupil premium eligibility.
- Student Profile Language Abilities: Administer All Students - Add language abilities.
- Student Profile: In Care: Administer All Students - Add in care notes for students.
- Student: Consents: Administer - Update YSSA
If you don't have the permission, you'll need to ask your admin team to give you permission using these instructions.
Check your recorded School Details by going to School > School Details. Ensure that your LA is filled in, Establishment Number, School telephone number and email address, Intake Gender, School phase, School type, Governance type, Intake type and URN all have information present (especially important to check if you have recently become an Academy).
In the Spring Census, your school is required to provide information on the number and type of childcare places your school provides. This is required even if you do not provide childcare.
There are four types of childcare that you have to provide information on:
- B - Before school
- A - After school
- H - Holiday provision
- U - Nursery for ages 0-4 (for more than 9 hours/day, not a provision that is only available during school hours or where children can only attend for a morning or afternoon session).
You can see how to add this information here: Recording Childcare for the Spring Census
You can see a list of potential duplicate students in School > Data > Data Quality Dashboard >Suspected Duplicates > Students.
You can then merge or delete these. Take a look at this article to see how to do this.
Top Tip: If you know that two students are duplicates but they aren't flagging as such, make sure their names are identical.
To check that all students have information entered for key Census fields, go to School > Data > Data Quality Dashboard > Students. This will open up three sections where you can update and add information - Contact Details, Identity and Demographics. Click into each to check your student data.
Top Tip: You’ll need the School: General Admin: Administer permission to access this area. If you don’t have permission, ask your office team to give it to you using these instructions.
Religion, country of birth and nationality are not reported in the census, so these fields are not required.
Assign UPN - Make sure all students have a UPN. If a student has no UPN against their profile they will show up in the list here. To generate a UPN for a student, use the bulk actions.
To assign a known UPN to a student, add this from the Identity section of their student profile.
Update Basic Details - This allows you to quickly check that you have filled in some key information regarding students.
To add or change any of the information, just click on the cell you wish to edit and a slide over will appear where you can add or update the correct information. For example, to add an Ethnicity source, select the students then select Bulk Set Ethnicity to choose the source.
For Nursery years: Update Funded Hours - Clicking on this will take you to a table that contains hours and funding information required in the School Census for Early Years and Nursery students. This data is not reported for 4-years-olds in Reception, so Reception students are not included in the table. For each individual student the number of funded hours allowed depends on the student's age and NC year. You can see full guidance on what to fill in from the DfE here: Funded hours
Please note, for students that are not entitled to extended hours paid for by the government, do not enter anything into the Extended hours field. Hours paid for by the child’s parents or the school should only contribute to the Hours at setting total.
You can update an individual student’s hours by clicking on their name. You’ll need to ask the parents if you do not know a child’s code.
You can also add some information in bulk, but you will still need to add the codes in by clicking on the students.
If a student is 2 and has funded hours, you'll need to add a funding basis. Click the student's name to add a funding basis (this cannot be updated in bulk).
Update National Tutoring Programme Hours - If you have recorded a student as being in receipt of School Led Tutoring or National Tutoring Programme funding, you must add their number of tuition hours. You can see how to do this here: National and School Led Tutoring funding and teaching hours
For students 11+: Update YSSA - If you have students whose information you are sharing with Connexions etc make sure that this is noted in the Youth Support Services Agreement section.
If you’re not requesting this information, you can mark your students as Unsaught.
Once you've checked your site and filled in any missing data using the instructions above, you can get started on your census.
Before generating your dry run, go through our School Census Preparation Checklist. It will help eliminate a lot of the most common errors and queries schools encounter on the dry run.
Once the census dry run is open, you can run your dry run census and get it ready for submission. See here for when the dry run opens and to access your full census guide: School Census help and guidance