All state-funded primary, middle and secondary schools and academy trusts in England with pupils in Year 1 to 11 eligible for pupil premium will receive a grant - more information about the grant can be found on the DfE's website here.
In order to be eligible for the funding, students must be in Years 1-11 or aged 5-15 as of the 31st August during the academic year prior to the census.
- If students are in receipt of this, you'll need to add this to student profiles following the instructions below.
- If no students are in receipt of this, you don't need to record this on student profiles. You'll just need to add a validation note when submitting your census.
New funding records should be recorded as National Tutoring Programme - you will be able to see, but not record funding as School Led Tutoring Programme.
Adding funding and hours
For any students with National Tutoring Programme (NTP) funding records, you must add their number of tuition hours.
Recording the funding
You can see how to add funding for a student here: Adding top up funding to a student
Record the number of tuition hours
For the census, schools need to return the cumulative total number of hours (year to date) that students eligible for funding have received tutoring.
Go to Students > All Students > Bulk Update > Bulk Update National Tutoring Programme Hours page.
Click into the filters to select your:
- date range: by default this will show the current term - change this to be from the start of the academic year to census day so you can see the hours that will be reported in the census.
- student group: by default this will show the lowest NC year group at your school but you can change this.
You will then see a list of students in that group who have been logged as having the National Tutoring Programme funding.
To add hours:
- tick the boxes next to the students
- click the Bulk action button
- click Update National Tutoring Programme Hours.
In the slide over, select how many hours should be input into each week's column, and set the date range these hours should be applied for.
We'll then add the hours in the background, and give you a notification when this has been completed. You can refresh your page to see the updated hours.
If you've set your date range to be from the start of the year until census day, the number in the Total Hours column will be what is output in the census.
Please note that because this is a week view, your census will include any hours that take place on the Friday after the census.
Delete hours or set to zero
To set any hours back to 0, use the bulk actions again and leave the hours field blank.
Can we update and report on funding for students in bulk?
Yes you can, you can see how to do this here: Adding top up funding to a student
You can see which students have been allocated different funding records using the bulk update page, or by using our custom report. You can see how to do this here: How can we check our numbers for funding for the census?
What if the hours each week is different?
To input hours for just one week, use the bulk action, and select the same week for the Start week and End week.
However, it's only the total hours up until census day that is output, not the data for each week.
You can add any weekly numbers, as long as the number in the Total hours column is correct (with the date range set between September 1st and Census day).
Do we have to record this funding?
Recording these details are a requirement for the census.
- Getting the recorded funding right will prevent error 4001, and query 4007Q.
- If you have recorded a student as being in receipt of funding, you must add their number of tuition hours to prevent error 4012.
Does funding migrate over from our previous MIS?
Please see this article: How do we migrate Student Funding?
Can we record less than a full hour or decimals?
Use a point rather than a colon to show decimal hours. For example, 30 minutes would be logged as 0.5 not 0:30.
- The minimum amount accepted is 0.25 hours (15 minutes). This is rounded up to 0.5 hours in the census.
- Anything under 0.25 is rounded down to 0.
Why can't we record hours for half-term holidays?
Our Bulk Update page will only show dates in a term, not holiday weeks. However, because the only number returned in the census is the total number of hours for the students YTD, you can add in any number each week as long as the total is correct.
Can we record which staff have led the tutoring?
It isn't possible to record staffing details, as this is not a statutory requirement from the DfE. No data about tutoring staff is output in the census, so staffing won't affect the allocation of funding.
One way of recording these details on your site would be to set up an Intervention. Please note: If using interventions you must also record the hours as they will not feed through from interventions.
I can't enter hours for next year?
This page relies on lessons scheduled. If you can't see a column for each week, you'll need to complete Step 6 of the New School Year Setup process.